Saturday, March 15, 2008

Another Black Saturday

Yesterday guys were told to stick around and wait out the morning shower. It was forecasted to last an hour, and it lasted an hour. Some guys just don’t listen and left for the day; with consequences.

In the end less than half the guys working in the field showed for work.

The work is tough enough as it is. I don’t need a situation where half the guys are carrying the water for the entire team, and making life miserable for them. If that’s the case, we will find new, supportive team members, and the loafers can take a hike.

Monday they will be reminded this isn’t a project run by the former Communist Polish Government where they pretend to work, and can do as they please.

It came as a shock, but I showed some guys an email I sent my brother on June 6 of last year. It went as follows:

Hi,

Usually my job entails helping guys understand their work. A challenge when you don't know a word of their language... or only a few. Of course profanity comes first. What is really amazing is I have to play babysitter to make sure a number of these clowns do any work at all. I've got one guy though that doesn't understand a word but is a real pro. Hard worker, wants to know his job, and we get along great. He rarely smiled when I met him, but I keep giving him the thumbs up... we've got our own sign language working. Could use 20 of him.

Jeezus...I must be getting old. :)