Sunday, November 7, 2010

Final Day of heavy lifting at the New Dune Bunker


The bunker is completed, the grass clumps placed about the bunker and atop the sand. Tomorrow I'll set them in the sand and make any needed adjustments.


I had no idea exactly how this bunker would turn out, but it looks a little like a version of Hell bunker at St. Andrews Old, but in reverse. It wasn't planned that way, like everything else at Sand Valley, it simply evolved.

We cut slabs of sod from the bank of the 7th fairway extension and used them for the back of the bunker and one small section of bunker face and drove sand until noon. Then I let the guys go, figuring I'd tie-in the back of the bunker to the fairway before calling it quits too. Just as I was going to tie-in the outer banks, the bunker rake died, so I took some pieces of sod stockpiled during the first days and placed them about the bunker.

Later I joined some members for a few holes and got to look at the bunker with fresher eyes, and thought the grass clump placement looked pretty good. Tomorrow I'd set them in place.

Tony Ristola
agolfarchitect.com
agolfarchitect@yahoo.com
+1 (909) 581 0080
+1(909) 581 0080 begin_of_the_skype_highlightin