Sunday, May 11, 2008

Shaping 8 Green

This greensite is the one that produced all the material for The Monument (to stupidity).

If I had the raw, undisturbed land to begin with, the green would have been placed high atop the ridge and left it at that. There would have been strategy galore thanks to Mother Nature, and a fraction of the work. I didn't have that chance, so now I've got a cavernous gouge to convert into something functional and beautiful.

Concepts for this green have been all over the map. From huge, to medium sized and back to huge. Today I started roughing out contours, thinking about the attack from multiple angles, fun shots, interesting putting, drainage, and beauty. When I'm done, I'll do what I've done with all the greens to this point... drag my foot around the perimeter seeking the outer form of the green. Then I'll stake the form. It's a hell of a lot faster this way, and the greens fit into the land better.

Tony Ristola
agolfarchitect.com
+1 (909) 581 0080