Monday, May 21, 2007

How to get fired

There is a language barrier here, but I’ve worked in places where I have had this challenge in the past. In every instance this barrier has been overcome. Sketches, arm waving, photos, drawing in the dirt, exchanges of a few words we both understand, a dictionary with both languages always seemed to get the intended task communicated and accomplished. It usually didn’t take long either. For virtually everyone here this hasn’t been a problem. They all get the picture after a few minutes. Then there are those who for whatever reason don’t. This is only the second time this has happened in all my projects.

Here I’ve had a guy who just doesn’t seem to get it, and with the pace of things to come, I haven’t the time to keep calling one of our staff to translate and discuss, and then wonder if he really understands. I take no pleasure in doing it but he’ll be finding work elsewhere, where he doesn’t have to make an effort to understand. I wish him great success.

Tony Ristola
agolfarchitect.com
+1 (909) 581 0080